Note: This post will be continually updated to include links to the places I have visited so far. Last updated 7/21/2014. I’m hopelessy behind in updating.
Ohio is one of the top wine producing states in the country, has the largest Amish population in the world and is known as the roller coaster capital, thanks to the thrill seekers paradise, Cedar Point. Ohio is pretty diverse.
My goal this year is to explore that diversity and uncover some of the places, attractions and events that make Ohio not only a great place to live, but also a great place to visit.
So I’ve compiled a list that I have dubbed “ The Ultimate Bucket List for those who want to Explore Ohio ” to help me stay on track. My goal is to begin checking items off my list this month. As I discover new reasons to love my home state, I’ll write a post about it and share it here.
Hopefully my experiences will help you as you plan outings with your own children, spouse or travel friends. I’ll also add a button to my sidebar so you can easily reference this post as I make updates.
1. Visit each of the 88 counties in Ohio.
- Clinton County- Discovering the Small Town Charm of Wilmington, Ohio
- Crawford County- Bucyrus, Ohio: More than Meets the Eye
2. Visit all of the National Park sites in Ohio that I’ve not already visited.
3. Go camping at least one time.
4. Stay overnight somewhere really unique.
- Queen for a Day at Landoll’s Mohican Castle in Loudonville
5. Travel along the length of the Lake Erie Coastal Trail.
- Best of the USA Put-in-Bay
- Exploring Family Friendly Kelleys Island
- A Family Friendly Getaway to Put-in-Bay
6. Follow a portion of the National Road, stopping at anything that piques my interest.
7. Take a train ride.
8. Go on a Lake Erie island excursion.
9. Visit 13 National Historic Landmarks.
- The Garfield Memorial in Lake View Cemetery
- Rockefeller Park Greenhouse
- The Historic Ohio State Reformatory
10. Take 13 factory tours.
- A Behind the Scenes Glimpse of the Velvet Ice Cream Factory
- Crossroads Candles
- Cooper’s Mill
- D. Picking Co.
11. Visit 13 cultural attractions or events.
12. Hike at 13 places that I’ve never hiked before.
- Fowler Woods State Nature Preserve
- Hike the Pleasant Hill Trail at Ohio’s Mohican State Park
- Exploring the Butter Nut Trail and Cave at Malabar Farm State Park
- Brandywine Falls
- Enjoying Fall Colors at Gorman Nature Center
13. Visit 13 of the Ohio Historical Sites.
14. Visit 13 roadside attractions.
- World’s Largest Basket
- Giant Andirondack Chair Roadside Attraction
- The Big Muskie in Miner’s Memorial Park
- The Topiary Park in Columbus
15. Visit 13 festivals that I’ve never been too.
16. Eat at 13 new restaurants.
- How to Eat a Hot Dog at Pink’s
- Malabar Farm Restaurant
- Coney Island Diner, Mansfield’s Oldest Restaurant
- Route 83 Restaurant in Ohio’s Amish Country
- Jane’s Hunger Paynes in Crestline, Ohio
- El Campestre Restaurant in Ontario, Ohio
- Carle’s in Bucyrus, Ohio
17. Visit 13 state parks.
- Malabar Farm State Park
- 15 Things to do with the Family at Malabar Farm State Park
- Exploring the Butter Nut Trail at Malabar Farm State Park
2. Mohican State Park
18. Visit 13 new thrift stores, antique stores, unique stores or boutiques.
- Lehman’s Hardware Store: it’s not just for Men
- Medina Antique Mall
- Hartville Marketplace and Flea Market
19. Visit 13 places in my hometown.
- The Blockhouse in South Park: Icon of Mansfield
- Springmill Drive-in
- A Stroll through Kingwood Center
20. Visit 13 museums that I’ve never been to before.
21. Visit some great animal attractions.
22. Spend a weekend in each of the major metropolitan areas: Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Akron/Canton, Cincinnati, and Dayton.
23. And, because I’m a mom and an aunt, I can’t leave the kids out of this. I plan to visit 13 places that the kids will love.
This may seem like a pretty ambitious list, but let me remind you, I love me some road trips. So what do you think? Can I mark off each of the items on “ The Ultimate Bucket List for those who want to Explore Ohio? ” Wish me luck!
Do you have a favorite state park in Ohio, know of a great place to eat in the Buckeye State, have gone on a really fun factory tour, or have a favorite festival that you enjoy year after year? Please leave a comment and share your suggestions.
- 12 Museums to Visit in Richland County
- 50 Field Trip Ideas for Richland County
- Family Friendly Staycation Ideas in Mansfield, Ohio
What attractions do you think I should add to my Ohio bucket list?
© 2013 – 2014, Tonya Prater . All rights reserved.